Physics (A-Level)

Physics (A-Level)

Advanced Level Qualification

Sixth Form Overview

Students aged 17-18 years old

Course Outline

A level Physics gives the opportunity to explore the phenomena of the universe and to look at theories that explain what is observed. This subject combines practical skills with theoretical ideas to develop hypotheses to describe the physical universe. You will learn about everything from kinematics to cosmology and many recent developments in fascinating topics, such as particle physics, if you are interested in the limits of space.

  • Scalars, vectors and moments
  • Newtons law of motion
  • Work, energy and power
  • Conservation of energy
  • Radioactivity
  • Current voltage and resistance
  • Circuits
  • Electromotive force
  • Oscillating waves
  • Longitudinal waves
  • Interference
  • Diffraction
  • Refraction
  • Gravitational fields and satellites
  • Electric fields
  • Exponential change
  • Magnetic fields
  • Altering currents
  • Thermal physics
  • Energy transfer
  • Ideal gases
  • Kinetic theories
  • Radius of a nucleus
  • Mass and energy

Looking at practical application of physics in real world scenarios.

  • 5 written exams
  • 1 hour 30 minute exams
  • 75 marks per exam
  • Each exam is worth 20% of A level
  • AS assessments contribute to 40% of the total marks for the full A level, the remaining 60% comes from the A2 assessments

  • AO1: Knowledge and understanding of scientific principles and concepts
  • AO2: Application of knowledge and understanding of scientific principles and concepts in both familiar and novel contexts
  •  AO3: The ability to describe, analyse, interpret and evaluate scientific information presented in different forms
  • AO4: The ability to select, describe and evaluate scientific procedures
  • Exam Board AQA
  • Course Code 7610
  • AS Available yes
  • Entry Requirements Grade 7 in GCSE Physics
  • Exam Papers 5
  • Course Work no
  • Prior Study Compulsory

Course Progression

Potential courses to apply to for physics include Accelerator Operator, Applications Engineer, Data Analyst, Design Engineer, High School Physics Teacher, IT Consultant, Lab Technician and Laser Engineer.

Ed Sport news INFO
All the latest school sport and grass roots reports on ED Sport. News, reports, analysis and more.
SEE ALL
Categories
  • No categories
Latest Posts
View All
Tweets
Please fill all required widget settings!
Contact Info
Praesent quis risus nec mi feugiat vehicula. Sed nec feugiat arcu.
  • Address Line 1
  • (123) 456 789
  • reception@safabritishschool.com